Literature for the visually impaired (Blind) means
- Papers of any kind, periodicals and books and plates bearing the characters (Braille) of writing used by the visually impaired, and
- Sound records and special paper intended solely for the use of the visually impaired.
- There is no postage charged on Literature for the visually impaired provided they adhere to the conditions below.
- consist only of Literature for the Visually impaired as defined in Rule 99, and may not contain any communication either in writing or printed in ordinary type, except the title, date of publication, serial number, names and addresses of printer and published, price and table of contents of the book or periodical and any key to, or instructions for, the use of the special type, or any enclosure except a label for the return of the packet;
- bear on the outside the inscription "Literature for the Blind" and the written or printed name and address of the sender;
- be posted either without a cover, or in a cover open at both ends which can easily be removed for the purpose of examination;
- not exceed 10 lb in weight or 2 feet by 1 foot by 1 foot in dimensions, or if made up in the form of a roll, 30 inches in length and 4 inches in diameter.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the preceding provisions of this rule, Literature for the visually impaired sent by, or addressed to, any institution approved by the Postmaster General shall be exempt from postage.
- To be entitled to transmission as Literature for the visually impaired a packet must
- In the event of non-compliance with any one or more of the conditions set out above, the packet will be transferred to any one of the following classes of postal articles :
- Printed matter open packets
and charged with any deficiency at the rate applicable to the class to which the packet is transferred: Provided that if more than one of the said classes are appropriate to the case, the packet will be transferred to the cheapest appropriate class.
- Any sum chargeable due to contravention of these regulations will be recovered from the addressee before the packet is delivered to him.